7/6/2010

I loved the mouse that came with my laptop. It's a Razer Copperhead and it's highly accurate and fits my hand well. There was a problem though. There's a common problem with Razer mice (so it seems) that the buttons start double clicking instead of single clicking. It had been doing that for a few months and I tried to ignore it. Well, today it finally started double clicking EVERY TIME. As you can imagine that's frustrating. No matter how I changed the mouse settings it still did it. It's out of warranty and I had to do something.

I took the mouse apart and cleaned it but that didn't help. I dug around in my stash o' parts and found an old mouse so I took it apart and found that the switches looked to be the exact same as the ones in my gaming mouse.

From 7-2010


So I de-soldered the switch.

From 7-2010


From 7-2010


De-soldered the bad switch.

From 7-2010


Soldered in the replacement.

From 7-2010


Re-assembled the mouse.

From 7-2010


From 7-2010


And... it didn't work. I don't know if it was something I did like getting the board or switch too hot when I was de-soldering or if it's just not the same switch even though it looks exactly the same. It's disheartening. At least I tried! In failure there are lessons. I learned how to use my de-soldering iron and learned that I probably need a new tip for my soldering iron. I also learned that I just plain need some more soldering practice.

Thanks to Ami for taking the majority of the pictures.

0 comments:

Post a Comment