9/23/2010 - Yashica Electro 35 GSN Light Seal Replacement

I replaced the light seals in my GSN tonight and Ami and I took pictures.

I assembled my tools. The seals and bamboo tool came from Jon Goodman and was absolutely perfect. It even came with very easy to follow directions.

From Yashica GSN Light Seals


This seal didn't look too bad.
From Yashica GSN Light Seals


This one was pretty much gone.
From Yashica GSN Light Seals


This one was pretty bad, too.
From Yashica GSN Light Seals


This seal wasn't so good either so I replaced it, too.
From Yashica GSN Light Seals


I wet the seals with some Windex.
From Yashica GSN Light Seals


Then I scraped and scraped.
From Yashica GSN Light Seals


I had to pull out the cloth seal with some tweezers.
From Yashica GSN Light Seals


Then I scraped out the glue.
From Yashica GSN Light Seals


After all the cleaning I put the new seals in.
From Yashica GSN Light Seals


And trimmed them to fit. It's really nice that the kit has them a little long. They're cut perfectly and you can tell Jon knows what he's doing.
From Yashica GSN Light Seals


You have to make sure you cut the top seal so that it fits around the film frame reset.
From Yashica GSN Light Seals


Tweezers help here, too.
From Yashica GSN Light Seals


From Yashica GSN Light Seals


The mess afterward.
From Yashica GSN Light Seals


Replacing the seals isn't hard, but it is a bit time consuming. These old cameras are worth it. I can't recommend Interslice enough for any light seal kit you might need. The instructions are clear and easy to follow, the seals are perfectly cut, and the kit is very affordable.

5 comments:

John Kershner December 4, 2010 at 4:25 PM  

thanks for the photos and description. I just ordered a kit from Interslice for my GSN

Pieter Robberechts May 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM  

Brian,

Very helpful, but Interslice isn't selling anymore apparently. Too bad. Also: Do you seal the complete back? Mine, wich I just bought, had the old seal already removed, so I can't see where I have to re-seal it.

Too bad also the instructions from Interslice aren't available anymore. Maybe you can send me a copy?

Brian Godfrey May 6, 2012 at 3:31 PM  

Sure I can send you a copy! Send me an email at brian.allen.godfrey@gmail.com and I'll respond with the document.

Unknown August 2, 2012 at 1:31 PM  

So, you didn't replace the cloth seal or the two seals at the latch end at all? I'm trying to replace the seals on mine and I'm confused on this part.

Brian Godfrey August 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM  

I did replace the ones at the latch end and the cloth one. I may not have shown that very well in the pictures.

Post a Comment